2010年12月16日 星期四

Hear My Prayer / Felix Mendelssohn / 詩篇55篇



From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hear My Prayer (German: Hör' mein Bitten) is a Christian anthem for soprano solo, chorus and organ or orchestra (SATB) composed by Felix Mendelssohn in Germany in 1844. The first performance took place in Crosby Hall, London on 8 January 1845. The accompanist on that occasion was organist, composer and teacher Ann Mounsey (1811-1891). She later married the librettist of the work, William Bartholomew (1793-1867) who also collaborated with Mendelssohn over his oratorio Elijah (German: Elias). The passage O for the Wings of a Dove (O könnt' ich fliegen) is particularly well known through the recording made in 1929 by boy soprano Ernest Lough.
The text (derived from Psalm 55):
Hear my prayer, O God, incline Thine ear!
Thyself from my petition do not hide.
Take heed to me! Hear how in prayer I mourn to Thee,
Without Thee all is dark, I have no guide.
The enemy shouteth, The godless come fast!
Iniquity, hatred, upon me they cast!
The wicked oppress me, Ah where shall I fly?
Perplexed and bewildered, O God, hear my cry!
My heart is sorely pained, within my breast,
my soul with deathly terror is oppressed,
trembling and fearfulness upon me fall,
with horror overwhelmed, Lord, hear me call,
O for the wings, for the wings of a dove!
Far away, far away would I rove!
In the wilderness build me a nest,
and remain there for ever at rest.

"O for the Wings of a Dove"

Libera兒童合唱團演唱





沒有留言:

張貼留言